Akademy – Day 3 afternoon notes
August 12, 2008
Imagine the suspense and action of Snakes on a Plane, but without Samuel L. Jackson. And both the snakes and people are eV board members and the plane is a boring gray auditorium and the movie lasts eight or nine hours. This is almost exactly how my day was today.
- The entire day, there must have been between 50 and 75 people down in the cafeteria talking and on laptops. Were they hacking or playing sudoku? I guess we’ll have to wait for more commit numbers from Paul Adams. But a fair share of people were staring intently at their displays – a fairly convincing game face if it actually was sudoku.
- The number of people that I heard comment that the key signing party went well exactly equaled the number of people that told me I was wearing great plaid pants. Wait, let me do a quick recount with Sebas. One less.
- I wouldn’t go so far as to call the general assembly meeting a necessary evil, but it isn’t exactly a walk in the park. Although everyone does seem to understand the importance. There were several topics and votes that have been IMO overdue. I will certainly let any specific results of the meeting and announcements come through the proper channels. But rest assured, KDE is doing exceptionally well and is growing. Without a clear map or cheat sheet, we must do our best as custodians to help foster expansion of a positive, healthy and innovative community. We’ve grown in size, even introduced some new members today, and took care of some important matters. Considering this meeting happens only once per year, it’s really could be worse – the very least we can all do.
- Jos Poortvliet: Why did it have to be German law of all things? Me: Right, if it were Italian law, we’d be having this meeting in a disco right now.
- Thanks in particular to Till and Jos van den Oever for their assistance during the proceedings.
- And I finally got the chance to thank the Akademy committee during the meeting for their event preparation. For those are involved but weren’t present, I will offer my thanks now. You’d think we were hosting the Pope the way the staff run around frantically for hours every day nonstop with walkie-talkies. Example: Although I may have seen Kenny sit down once a day or two ago, he’s basically been a blur. Thanks again everyone.
- Danimo had a quick meeting on the state of KDE’s wiki. If you want to help out, please contact him. Important, as TechBase is starting to get used for everything, and might eventually…wait for it….turn into another bloated chaotic wiki if we aren’t careful in keeping it topical. I wasn’t able to attend, but it was certainly for a Good Reason ™ (no comment possible now).
- I had a very specific list of tasks I wanted to accomplish during my time here, and I’m doing really, really poorly at them so far. Considering it’s 2am and I still haven’t gone to bed, tomorrow doesn’t look good either.
- Had a great dinner and conversation with some of the usual suspects tonight. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in Mechelen: The only thing that is more uninteresting to the wait staff than checking on your table, taking your order or asking if you want another round, it’s actually collecting the money for their goods and services. I had to start laying bear traps under palm branches on the floor. They get a leg caught, and then I throw money on them and leave. Unless restaurant in flemish means: “Hand someone a menu and then literally leave the property.” Not sure I understand the business model, but seems universal.
- This blog entry cost me 9 euro, hope you jokers enjoy it.