Akademy – Day 2 morning notes
August 10, 2008
For those not at Akademy, more semi-coherent observations:
- Where’s Rex? I didn’t see Rex Dieter at the end of the first day or this morning, and I owe him a cab fare. I will send out the blood hounds and a search party if I don’t see him soon. Maybe the ruthless Camera Crew Union got to him as well?
- Never fear, for the former e.V. resident president is here. Eva gave me a ride over to the campus instead.
- New Maxim: “Given 20 or more routes to take from point A to point B, a KDE developer will always take the only route that directly blocks a camera.” I’ll most likely prove this via Induction after lunch.
- As always seems to be the case, the schedule seems to work out so that the very talks I want to see are at the same time.
- DigiKam: Seems like an early adopter of Pillars of KDE and integration of new technologies. Already Solid, Phonon, and Marble with Nepomuk coming soon.
- In a perfect moment of synchronicity: Gilles talked about DigiKam’s use of Marble, and I walked into the other room and Inge was talking about Marble embedded in DigiKam.
- I like listening to developers switch in to “User Mode” and ask questions of other developers on their own expectations for how applications should work.
- Amarok: Conference by committee. Projet updates and progress by 7 or 8 team members. The only prolem is that I had gotten a disco ball and some smoke machines ready for some demos. Oh well, I guess I’ll move them down by the ping pong tables – make sure to wear your club gear in the cafeteria.
- If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen: The conference rooms are really warm; I need to step outside between talk to cool off.
- Franz and I are counting “aahs” and “umms” in the speeches and we just ran out of ink. Can someone spare a pen? After staying in Paris last week and shaking the rust off my French, I can understand the joys of giving speeches in other languages. Even when I went to school there, I never felt entirely natural giving speeches in French.
- We have talks this year from Prasanth Udupa, Park Shinjo, and Pradeepto Bhattacharya. Great to see more visibility and involvement from our community members around the Marble ™.
- Projector issues delayed the Marble talk by Patrick. Bogus. Hopefully it’s rescheduled.