People are gasping for Oxygen
September 12, 2007
Let the bad puns begin! A few notes about how one of our Pillars of KDE is turning people into Gearhead converts:
1) I’ve already given Nuno some personal feedback on these images, but now that every meal he eats seems to be covered on Digg…I’m really a big fan of his recent work as shown in this working directory (listed on his blog). I’m just another person with another opinion, but to be fair, I’ve heard rumors that my opinion is worth 7-8 opinions of the commoners. So it’s more like a small group consensus. A small good looking popular group consensus (like a party of Zacks in a smallish London flat). We’ve got some subtle gradients, some nice shadows, some sexy drop-down menus, it’s thoughtful already – especially for a proof of concept. Let’s assume the drop-down has some fun japanimations or effects. Let’s see how it evolves. I’m curious if the green progress bar might pulse or slide or spiral or glow, these are the things that keep me up at night.
2) Speaking of opinions, the recent forum entries on “All Things Oxygen” is why it’s best to leave the decision making to the experts (aka the artists). It’s either too much like Apple or not enough or too much like Vista or too drab or too vibrant or not photorealistic enough or not enough like Clear Looks or doesn’t smell like strawberries. At least the deafening volume of commentary shows the passion and anticipation.
3) I’m also interested (like many I’m sure) in the results of their wallpaper contest. I have larger monitors so I’m glad they asked for submissions bigger than 640X480. 1900 entries in the contest according to kwwii’s blog? There can’t be more than two or three hundred lolcat entries from Daniel Duley, can there? I’m also glad they’re asking for SVG wallpapers. I never really feel like we have enough of those. IIRC I was involved with Ye Ole 3.4 SVG wallpaper contest and really, really enjoyed the winning results. I still use this one from time to time:
4) Where’s Ruphy? I hope poor Davigno found his sidekick. It tells you how close the communities are when after a week or two it’s time to file a Missing Persons Report and start laying on the guilt.
5) I’ve seen adapations on Oxygen work for both KDE 3.5 as well as gnome on various sites. I appreciate people’s enthusiasm but I’m curious on the opinions of the Oxygen team. I think I know, and the fact that they’ve just remained silent says more than enough to me. Respect their work and don’t steal their thunder.
6) I haven’t heard about usability thoughts on the recent widgets and window decoration proposals. Any feedback?